Post Graduate Work Permit


A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows you to remain in Canada and work full time after you complete a certificate, diploma or degree that is at least 8 months in length. 

You don’t need a job offer to apply and can work anywhere in Canada in any occupation, even if it’s not related to your studies.


Why should I apply?

A Post Graduate Work Permit is a practical way to apply what you’ve learned at your College or University, advance your professional goals and gain Canadian work experience. 

If you are unsure if you will stay or return to Canada after studies, consider applying for the PGWP in case your plans change since you have only  180 days after your studies to apply. You do not need to reside in Canada or hold a job at all times to keep the work permit valid.


Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit, you must have: 

  • Completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months which led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Studied full-time each academic session without taking time away from studies. This does not include scheduled program breaks, such as winter break or summer break for undergraduate students.